Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thinking about....

Mother's Day
I have been thinking about Mother's Day for several weeks now. Honestly, for several years this day has been very hard and for those of you still longing for answered prayers I hope you can find comfort in our story. Please know that God has a plan for you! This year I will celebrate with a thankful heart. I am thankful for God's master plan of redeeming love and I am thankful for Samuel's birth mother. Without her I would not be a mother today. Although I have never met her, my heart is filled with love and gratitude. I want to celebrate and honor her because she chose life for Samuel. She took great care of him for nine crucial months. She delivered him into this world and made the decision to place him in our arms. I think about the day that she chose us to become Samuel's parents. At that point, we had no idea that Samuel had been born. Every time I think about her saying, "That is the couple," I become overwhelmed with emotion. I know that God's hand was guiding her decision as well as our decision to adopt. At the end of our birth mother letter we said, "Our wish for you and your precious child is best stated in an old Irish proverb- 'May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.' On Sunday my heart will be with Samuel's birth mother.
And to our precious baby boy, Samuel Andrew Shane Johnson- We love you more than you could ever imagine!
"Legacy of an Adopted Child"
Once there were two women who never knew each other.One you do not remember, the other you call mother.Two different lives, shaped to make your one...One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.The first gave you life and the second taught you to live it.The first gave you a need for love, and the second was there to give ... One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name.One gave you a seed of talent, the other gave you an aim.One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears.One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.One gave you up ... that's all she could do.The other prayed for a child and God led her straight to you.And now you ask me, through your fears, the age old question unanswered throughout the years...Heredity or environment, which are you the product of?Neither, my darling … neither.Just two different kinds of love.
~ Author Unknown ~

7 comments:

  1. Sweet post. Samuel is absolutely PRECIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a sweet post! I got a little choked up reading it. Mother's day has been difficult for me the last 11 years- since I lost my mother. I think Alyssa will make this my best Mother's Day ever! I am so happy for you guys! Happy Mother's Day to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't even read all of the post for my emotions (rough day w/ Chop passing - may seem silly but really hard) but it was so beautiful and special. I am so thankful for Samuel's birth mother and am in complete awe of her selfless choice. I know she will be thinking of him on Sunday and she would be happy to know of the beautiful life she chose for him.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet!! Happy Mother's Day! ~Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,
    Yes, a beautiful post. I was telling someone tonight about Samuel, wishing they could know what a joy he is. How a year ago, none of us knew Samuel would be in our lives and now we can't imagine life without him. I'm so thankful God made a way where there seemed to be no way.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, Beth I now know that I cannot read your blog at work anymore. While reading this I began to cry and my students were coming in my office asking if I was ok. I am glad to know that you will be celebrating Mother's Day this year, so in advance Happy Mother's Day! I know this day will be really special for you the rest of your life, so enjoy! To Leslie, sorry to hear about Chop, not silly at all! ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth,
    I am so happy that you get to celebrate Mother's Day this year as a mom. I also think your post is wonderful. I understand all those emotions. I have always been grateful to Colton's birthmother for giving him life. I love the poem. Gave me CHILLS!!!! Have a wonderful Mother's Day. And, yes, very sad to hear about Chop:(

    Billie

    ReplyDelete